Monday, January 2, 2012


Veronica Weber Seitchick 

has been passionate about baking since she was a child. She follows in the footsteps of her mother, who as a single mom would bake delectable pastries for friends and colleagues into the wee hours of the night. Her passion and talent inspired Veronica and her two sisters to start baking as children. She was encouraged at an early age to experiment with different flavors to create new recipes. When the first of her four daughters was born in 1992, Veronica set out to learn the business that helped her express her art and was more conducive to her growing family. Under the tutelage of a veteran baker and owner of a Northern Oregon cake company, Veronica learned the mechanics of “Caking”. Her efforts landed her the position of specialty cake designer/baker for a prominent Philadelphia bakery, which eventually led to the launch of her own cake business in Washington. Since then, Veronica has been developing her own personal style. She specializes in assembling unique flavors based on ganache, mousse, and various combinations of dessert liquors, as she puts her spin on latest fashion in cakes. With over 15 years of experience creating cakes, Veronica launched "Cakes by Veronica" in 2008 in the Monterey Bay area based in Santa Cruz. She quickly developed a reputation in the Santa Cruz and Monterey counties and has been featured in the Good Times Wedding edition and in California Wedding Wave. *** How did you get started with your business? I began Cakes by Veronica in California out of sheer need. It was a way to insure our four daughters had one parent more available since my husband works weekends and many evenings. The business was put on hold for a good number of years, not counting the endless volunteer cakes for soccer teams, teacher appreciation lunches, and church functions. Soon I was also baking several cakes a year for the weddings of friends and family, and friends of friends and family. I’ve just finished my third wedding season and have had most weekends booked through the wedding months. I absolutely love meeting the brides and their families, working with and getting to know all wedding professionals, and establishing good working relationships. I very much think “local”, so I buy as locally as possible, including the eggs we purchase from the window at Glam Egg Ranch in Aptos. Also, being established locally is very important to me. We’ve all heard the saying “Bloom where you’re planted”, and that is so me. I live here. My friends are here. My children’s friends are here. My community is here. This is where I want to be. While I deliver several hours outside of Monterey Bay, I don’t “seek” business outside this area. There’s plenty of work here. What sets you apart from others in your field? Definitely my service-oriented approach makes me unique as I try to be as accommodating as I can with the schedule of a busy bride. I’m sensitive about people’s time, and can even ship samples if needed. As far as quality, I believe that the flavor and quality is equally important in wedding cakes. I like to do “dessert” in cake form with ganaches and fruit or chocolate mousses, and liquors to add moistness are all important factors. Making a memorable cake is important to me. Why are you passionate about what you do? What inspires you? I absolutely love all of the newest designs, textures and “bling”! I love the luster painting and the fun colors. I also absolutely love people, so putting those together is what makes me happy at the end of a work day. I love creating wedding cakes to fit the celebrated person’s personality and am always honored to be a part of making their day come together by providing a personalized, custom designed cake. What is the hardest part about what you do? The best part? Without a doubt, the hardest part about running my own business is having limitations, and living within them. I love a challenge--in my business and personal life—and the thought of “can’t do it”doesn’t even factor in, even if I’ve never done it before - In fact, especially if I haven’t done it before. I’ll often pull all-nighters and do whatever it takes to make a project happen, that’s all part of the challenge, and the fun. How has being a member of MBWEP been beneficial to you? MBWEP has been beneficial for many reasons, one being the opportunity to meet and get to know other vendors whom you may never have met. I love hearing stories and new ways to do things or look at situations, and working together to continue building our local community and the integrity of service to our brides. Any other information you’d like to share? Cakes by Veronica also offers organic, vegan and gluten free options. Contact information for Cakes by Veronica: 831-246-0207 Cakesbyveronica@gmail.com www.cakesbyveronica.com “Like” me on Facebook! Cakes by Veronica, Monterey Bay

No comments:

Post a Comment